A Permanent Account Number or as it is more popularly known as the PAN is a unique alphanumeric number that each applicant is provided with. It is a must for Income Tax filing as well as certain financial transactions like property buying/selling or even investing in mutual funds and the like. In case you are an NRI or an NRI with citizenship of another country, you can still apply for a PAN though the procedure can be different from than followed by an Indian resident.
NRIs who are Indian citizens can use the same form 49A as is usual for all Indian residents. But is you are an NRI but holding citizenship of another country or a foreigner earning in India then you should choose Form 49AA. Here are the steps to follow:
1. To get the appropriate form whether it is 49A or 49AA you need to go to websites of UTIITSL or NSDL
2. Fill the details as indicated on the form . On submission of the form a online you will get an 15 digit acknowledgement number on a receipt that you will need to print out.
3. In the space provided you will need to paste 2 recent passport photos and sign in the space provided ONLY with black ink.
4. You will need to attach all supporting documents
Identification proof: copies of any one of these will be accepted - Aadhaar card, driving license, voter ID card,
Proof of Address: Copy of passport, Copy of bank account statement in the resident country, copy of NRE bank account statement showing a minimum of 2 transactions in past six months. These documents need to be attested.
1. If you are applying for a PAN while in India then the processing fee is INR 110
2. If the communication address is outside India then the amount to be paid is INR 1,020
3. Payment can be done through debit or credit card, netbanking or by DD. Demand draft should be drawn in favor of NSDL PAN
Check whether you fall under the 105 countries for which this service is available, This info is available on the site.
The receipt with photos, supporting documents should reach the PAN office within 15 days of the online application. If payment is done online then all is fine, if it is by DD then it must be sent to the communication address and the PAN is sent to the communication address only on realisation of the payment.
1. If you are filling the form offline, ensure you use only black ink
2. Do not sign across the photograph but only in the space indicated
3. Ensure the name in the application is exactly the same as in the proof of identity
4. Never staple the pictures to the form. This photograph will be used on your PAN card so make sure you stick it and never pin it.
5. The PAN card uses Father’s name, so do not enter husbands name
If all this sounds complicated, many do also employ the services of a reliable PAN Card Service Agency to do all the work involved.