Application for changes or correction in PAN Card

This application procedure is applicable when a Permanent Account Number has already been allotted to an individual and he or she is looking forward to update details in PAN like name, father’s name, or wrong date of birth. The PAN number will remain same but will get updated with the correct details.

Steps to follow for PAN Correction:

You can update or correct the PAN Details, following the simple steps

  • Log on to the website of NSDL e-governance website.
  • Under the service section, Click on ‘PAN’
  • Choose to apply for change or correction in PAN Data.
  • From the ‘ Application Type’ drop-down menu, select changes or correction in existing PAN Data/ Reprint of the PAN Card.
  • From the ‘Category’ dropdown menu, choose the category of the assessee, for example, if the PAN is registered in your name, select ‘Individual’ from the list.
  • Now, enter your name, date of birth, email address, and mobile number
  • Fill the Captcha code and click on “Submit”.
  • Your request of correction in PAN card will be registered and a token number will be mailed on your registered email address.
  • You can continue the process by clicking the button given below it.
  • After proceeding, you will be redirected to the PAN form. The main options available to submit your scanned images are through e-Sign on NSDL e-gov”.
  • Fill in the necessary details like your father’s name, mother’s name, and your Aadhaar number and click on ‘Next’.
  • You will now be redirected to a new page where you can update your address or name as per requirement.
  • Upload all the necessary documents such as proof of address, proof of age, proof of identity and PAN.
  • You need to sign the declaration form and click “Submit”.
  • You will be redirected to the payment page. Payment can be made through demand draft, net banking, and Credit card/Debit card.
  • On successful payment, an acknowledgement number will be generated. The applicant should take a printout and send it to the NSDL e-gov office along with the physical proof of documents.
  • Also, affix a photograph in the space provided and sign across it. Write ‘Application for PAN Change’ on top of the envelope along with the acknowledgement number.
NSDL Mailing Address
  • NSDL e-Gov at Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
  • NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
  • 5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341,
  • Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony,
  • Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016′

Important facts to keep in mind at the time of making PAN Card corrections

  • Avoid using abbreviations in the first and last name at the time of filling PAN correction name.
  • Non-individuals like Partnerships and Companies always have to write in full the company name.
  • If there is limited space left in the first row, instead of adjusting in that row, you can continue writing the corporation’s name in second row. Avoid writing abbreviations for company name.
  • If an individual’s PAN Card has an incorrect or unclear photograph or signature, then in that case individual needs to do the submission of the original PAN card after you submit the acknowledgment form.

  • Fee and Charges of PAN Card correction

  • The fee applicable for PAN Card correction is Rs 95(85 plus taxes)
  • This fee is accepted via cheque or demand draft or by using a Credit card or Master card, or net banking.
  • If you are planning to make payment via demand draft, it should be payable at Mumbai along with acknowledgment number and name written on the backside of your cheque or demand draft.

  • Documents required for making name change in PAN Card for various categories

    Application Type Document applicable for change
    Change of name of women surname after marriage Marriage certificate
    Marriage invitation Card
    Passport with husband’s name
    Publication of changed name in an official Gazette.
    Certificate issued by Gazetted officer.
    Applicant name change Publication of name in the Official Gazette Change of name certificate issued by Gazetted officer
    Companies Updated Partnership Deed
    ROC’s certificate for the name change
    Firms, Limited Liability and Partnerships @Registrar of Firm or LLP's certificate for name change
    AOP/ Trust/Local Authority /AJP Revised agreement deed Revised registration certificate.